Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Recap

Before I go into writing about spring break, here's a quick update on a few trips that I neglected to post about...

ROME
We took an overnight trip to Rome (at the end of January) to see the Vatican Museums, St Peter's Basilica, the Roman Forum, the Pantheon, etc... I loved Rome and would definitely love to revisit it and check out things we didn't have time for (the Borghese Galleries). My favorite parts were seeing Michelangelo's Pieta and going to the Trevi Fountain (at night)...but really, the whole trip was a blast. I put a bunch of Rome pictures on facebook: here and here (one album for each day).


FRANKFURT
On the first weekend in February, I went to Frankfurt, Germany. We found cheap flights through RyanAir. If you've never flown with RyanAir, it's sort of like a normal airline except you fly into airports that are really far away from the city so you have to take a (12/13 euros and at least an hour long) bus into the city. Also sometimes when the pilot lands the plane, it's terrifying and you almost die. But the flights can sometimes be ridiculously cheap so it's worth it.

The MMK was awesome. MMK is their modern art museum and there was a Felix Gonzalez-Torres exhibition. I learned about him last semester in Digital Foundations class. I think his work is incredibly fascinating. They also had a bunch of Larry Clark photos in the museum but I'm not a huge fan of his work. We also went to the zoo. It wasn't the most impressive zoo I've ever seen but there were some really cool monkeys. Some of the monkeys had mustaches. Also they had penguins. Penguins are funny and Shelby loved them.

It was a fun weekend but I doubt I'd ever go back to Frankfurt, especially in the winter. It was cold and people walk right into you and don't apologize (but maybe I'm generalizing).
I posted a bunch of pictures here (including monkeys!).

VOLTERRA & SAN GIMINIATO
On Feb 11th, we took a day trip to two Tuscan hill towns. We didn't spend a lot of time in Volterra but both towns were beautiful. Nero took us to a few museums and churches. At San Giminiato, we had some free time to explore the area. The views from San Giminiato are breathtaking. Here's some pictures from that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment